Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Days 9 and 10:keep it simple

A crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich on homemade whole wheat bread is vegan.

That realization this morning made me smile and feel all warm and cozy inside.  I have a very great tendency to overthink things. To over think everything. My recipe research had begun to overwhelm me with possibilities as I entered a hectic workweek full of tight schedules and travel. I had dedicated a couple of days to cooking and preparing for the week. The refrigerator was still filled with veg from the farmers market and it was yelling at me to cook something amazing. ASIAN SLAW!  BROCCOLI RABE LASAGNA!  ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES!  VEGAN BAKED BEANS!  It became deafening. 

Then I thought about the PB&J. And started to breathe again. 

I also dug into Meg Wolff's cookbook, A Life in Balance. Meg stresses not getting stressed.  Keeping food tasty. Not worrying about replicating non-vegan food. Breaking free from the main course, side dish, starch dinner plate. Her words gave me permission to step back, enjoy how great I feel, eat my sweet potato soup, enjoy treats from Little Lad's Bakery and a Spicy Boca Chik Patty and try Peter's delicious homemade hummus. 

And make a humongous peanut better and strawberry jam sandwich on vegan whole wheat bread. 

Homemade bread, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment