Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 3: There's something to that Girl Scout motto

Be prepared.

I was never was a Girl Scout. It was Camp Fire Girls for me. Considering I was 5'10" at age 11, I made quite a little Bluebird. But, the those girls in green know what they are talking about when they pledge to be prepared. Today, I was NOT prepared for lunch and VERY prepared for dinner. What a difference it makes.

As I mentioned, we have a terrific cafeteria at St. Joe's. I've made two salads in a row and they were vegan nirvana. Yesterday salad bar had edamame, those roasted sweet potatoes again, sweet multi-colored beets, roasted corn, all good stuff. Today, however, I was so jammed with students wanting help, advice, an ear, a soft shoulder (my job would be so easy if there were no students) that I barely had time to breathe until about 12:15. Then, the downpour started and didn't let up. With a class at 1 pm, I resorted to the trail mix and fruit I had thrown in my bag. Actually, I wasn't hungry at all most of the afternoon and threw in a cup of tea at 3 between classes for caffeine's sake. However, I ate a LOT of almonds, dried cherries and cashews, and the random dark chocolate nib. A plum in the car at 5:30 held me over. And dinner was easy because....

I turned on the crock pot.

It takes a real woman to turn on a crock pot. It was all hot and bothered when I arrived at home.

The acorn squash halves were cooked perfectly (on low with a little water). I sauteed some shallot, garlic, jalapeno pepper and mushrooms in olive oil, added some brown rice I had cooked earlier in the morning (while I was showering) along with a handful of chopped walnuts. While sauteing, I cooked some finely chopped kale in salted water with some red lentils (heeding my son's advice about legumes) and added that when done. A splash of vegetable broth and
some bread crumbs, some thyme, salt and pepper and it was ready to stuff into the squash halves. A drizzle of olive oil and into a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Toss a salad, open a bottle of pinot noir. Sha-zam! Dinner is served.


To answer a question I received today, I feel great. I am not craving anything. I am drinking my coffee black because soy creamer is gross and almond milk makes coffee look and taste like dish water. My dear college friend Gwen wrote to me after Day 1...
 "I think Seth may have a point here; it's time to put on your big girl panties and drink your coffee black. There is no substitute for the delicious creaminess of half and half. So why settle? Explore coffee grown in different geographically areas. Instead, like your salad, let the flavor and essence of the coffee come through." 
Gwen and I were dorm-mates and basketball teammates at Bowdoin College in the late 70's. I trusted her then and I trust her now. Black it is.

So, because I am feeling great 3 whole days into this vegandventure, I'm beginning to think that maybe there will be a month 2...which means the challenge of THANKSGIVING. As I ponder the conversations with my older son and my mother about whether I will cook a turkey (as the dinner is always at my house), this response comes to mind, courtesy of my niece-in-law, Chrissy.

Perhaps I'll cross that animal product-free bridge when I come to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment