Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2: Bananas and Burgers


I ate a banana today.

Not “ we interrupt this newscast” worthy, but I haven’t eaten one in about a year and a half. And my, it tasted good and was an entirely satisfying mid morning snack. I found myself almost hiding the guilty behavior as I peeled it, lest someone see me eating the dreaded high-carb fruit. But then I remembered…I’m not counting carbs anymore.

That fact was pointed out to me today in my bi-weekly nutritionist appointment with Kim Norbert at Nutritionworks in Portland. I’ve been working with Kim since May of 2011 and have found her to be knowledgeable, supportive, smart and funny; everything I could want in a nutritionist. When I told her my decision to try a vegan diet, she whole-heartedly approved. She said she has 4 clients who are having great success with vegan lifestyles and have experienced both controlled blood sugars and substantial weight loss. Kim went on to recommend a coconut creamer for my coffee, a vegan “cheese” and various other foods to try. Kim is a type 1 diabetic, as well as someone who loves to cook, so she tries a lot of alternative foods. She has been an invaluable resource for me over the past 18 months and today’s visit confirmed that she will continue in that role. Another brush in my vegan make-up bag.


This evening proved to be a bit more of a challenge than I had anticipated this early in the month.  I knew when contemplating this ‘vegandventure’ that planning for rushed evenings would be a must. My husband and I lead busy lives. Even though we are empty-nesters, we both are involved in several community activities, serve on non-profit boards and belong to book groups, as well as work full time. However, I didn’t expect day 2 to be one of those evenings. But it was.

I found a terrific stuffed squash recipe that cooks in a crock-pot during the day and got everything ready before work this morning…only to leave the house without turning it on. Rut-roh. Fortunately, I had Blue Mango Burgers in the freezer. Some sliced tomato, vegan mayo, and ketchup on a whole wheat English muffin, a tossed salad and away we go. I was going to crisp up some smoky tempeh strips, as well, but didn’t have the time. The Blue Mango burgers are tasty, a bit spicy and filling. 

A terrific quick meal that we especially appreciated, as Peter had about 25 minutes from the time we arrived at home until he had to leave for a Cumberland Country Beekeepers Association meeting.

That leads to the “will we eat honey” conversation. Peter is an avid beekeeper and keeps about 10 or 11 hives in various places around Greater Portland. Our little friends produce amazing, rich, buttery honey. Actually, this coming weekend we will spend few hours extracting dark, fall honey from hive frames. Honey, most vegans state, is an animal product. But no, mon cheri, says King Bee Peter. It does not come from the bee. But, for me, honey is sugar, which is not my friend. So, I’ll let Peter wrestle with this dilemma himself.


And speaking of dilemmas, the girls ramped up their egg laying today with two perfect little eggs. My mother, supportive as ever, offered to take the incredibly delicious eggs off my hands. That woman just gives, gives, gives.


On to day 3. If only I can remember to turn on the crock pot in the morning.

7 comments:

  1. Look forward everyday to your daily reports!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just found your blog from the link on Portland Food Map!

    Good luck! I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I like to incorporate several meatless meals into my weeks and I thought you might like a helpful link.
    Oh She Glows is a fantastic vegan blog. I've loved all of the recipe's of hers that I've tried.
    http://ohsheglows.com/

    (I especially like her lightened up Protein Power Goddess Bowls and her Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale. You can just search for them on her site.)

    My favorite quick vegan meal is just sauteing or roasting some Brussels Sprouts, then pan frying a little Tempeh and drizzling the whole thing with sesame oil. If you have more time you can marinate the tempeh with sesame oil, soy sauce, and a little lime juice.) I also like to roast small tomatoes and chopped onions, pour them over white beans and chopped basil, and enjoy over slices of wheat bread.

    Hope you enjoy your vegan month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestions, Shelly.Ive never seen that blog, but will check it out today. I'm looking everywhere for tasty recipes, so I appreciate the lead. I also love Brussel sprouts, although my husband is less than enthusiastic about them. With enough flavor added, though, he will usually eat them. I've pickled them before (and will again this year)in a sweet and spicy brine with onions and they are divine.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About honey...I am no expert on vegan philosophy but I do know a little about honey. Honey is made from plant nectar collected by honey bees. The foraging bees pass it from their honey stomachs to the house bees who in turn place it in the cells of the honey comb. Once the moisture content of the nectar is reduced sufficiently, the bees cap it with wax to save it for later consumption. Part of the process of converting nectar to honey is the addition of invertase from the bees' saliva. This produces a reaction that converts the sucrose in the nectar to fructose and glucose.

    Honey bees are natural and obsessive hoarders. They store as much nectar as they can, usually far more than they will consume during the winter when plants shut down. When beekeepers collect honey, they are only collecting the excess, thus they are not harming the colony by doing so.

    With that as background, can anyone tell me why vegans don't eat honey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is an answer from my friend Susan Brackshaw:
      ""its robbing them of the product of their labors...subjugating them"

      Delete
  5. from my friend Meghan Tippet Gavin, co-owner of The Honey Exchange. "The bees leave enzymes in the honey which disqualifies it. That said, honey is one of those foods that some vegans DO eat. My friend Laurie Stenberg has been a vegan for 20 years, but she will still eat honey."

    ReplyDelete